Château Léoville Barton is a Saint-Julien estate, one of just fifteen Deuxièmes Crus (Second Growths) in the original 1855 Classification. Along with Château Léoville-Las Cases and Château Léoville-Poyferré, Léoville Barton was once part of the vast Léoville estate. The estate we now know at Léoville Barton was purchased by Hugh Barton in 1826. It is still owned by the Barton family, who were originally of Irish descent. The current owner Anthony Barton began running the estate in 1983, along with its sister property Château Langoa Barton. Many people don’t know that Léoville Barton actually doesn’t have its own château, and the beautiful façade depicted on its label is is actually that of Château Langoa Barton! Léoville Barton's 116 acres (47 ha) of vineyards are located in the central part of the appellation along the Gironde river. The soil composition is mostly gravel with a subsoil of clay. The plantings are 72% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, and 8% Cabernet Franc.