About Clos Fourtet
Previously known as Camfourtet, Clos Fourtet was used as a fort in Saint- Émilion during the middle ages. At one point in the late 18th century, it shared the same owner as Château Figeac. The estate was formally named Clos Fourtet in 1868 under the Rulleau family, who was also responsible for building the château. Up till 2001, Clos Fourtet came under various owners including the Ginestet and Lurton families, legendary names associated with top Bordeaux estates such as Château Margaux and Cheval Blanc respectively. The Cuvelier family acquired Clos Fourtet in 2001 and placed Matthieu Cuvelier in charge. The 20-odd hectare vineyard of Clos Fourtet is planted to approximately 83% Merlot with the rest made up of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. Vines are regularly replanted to maintain an average vine age of 35 years. Practitioners of organic and biodynamic farming, Clos Fourtet continues to produce stellar wines of power and elegance.