Château d’Armailhac is a Pauillac Fifth Growth estate. It was historically part of the Mouton Rothschild estate. The name of the estate came from one of the first owners of the estate, Dominique d’Armailhacq. As early as 1740 the wine was sold under the name of “Mouton d’Armailhacq”. It was acquired by Baron Philippe de Rothschild in 1934 and was for a time called Château Mouton d’Armailhacq. This estate was one of the first on the Left Bank to plant Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot; they also have some of the oldest vines in the Médoc with around 20% date back to 1890.
Château d’Armailhac sits right between Mouton Rothschild and Pontet-Canet. Compared with neighbour Pontet-Canet, d’Armailhac remains very affordable and is an estate to look out for in top vintages.