The vineyards at Elderton were originally planted in 1894 and produced wine for decades until falling victim to the declining demand for Australian table wine. Fortunately for the neglected wines, all that was needed was time. When the Ashmead family arrived int he 1970’s they got the 72-acre vineyard of ancient Cabernet and Shiraz vines as a mere afterthought when buying the house. They set about restoring the vineyards and in a few years the vines were producing some of the best wine in South Australia. In the present they are known particularly for their Command vineyard which is responsible for what Robert Parker calls a benchmark to which “all South Australia Shiraz must be compared."